Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Handmade Gifts: Monogrammed Stone Coasters

I'll be doing a series of posts on handmade gifts that are quick and inexpensive. Just in time for Christmas!

This first tutorial is for one of my all-time favorites: monogrammed stone coasters. I've given a set of these coasters to all of my family and many of my friends. They're beautiful and useful - a perfect gift.

Here's what you need: tumbled tile {I used travertine}, rubber or felt bumper pads, staz-on permanent ink pad, patterned and initial stamps, post-it note.
Cut a small square out of the top of the post-it note being sure that the sticky part is on the back of your square. Stick the square in the center of your tile.
Rub StazOn ink on a large script {any fine pattern would work} stamp. Press firmly on the tile.
Whoops. I was a little heavy-handed on the ink on the top right. No worries. It doesn't have to be perfect. Peel off your Post-It square and place it in the center of the next tile. Repeat with all tiles.

This one turned out better.I like when there are gaps in the pattern. Don't go to great lengths to squash the stamp on the tile. A little give to it adds character.Pull out your initial stamps. I bought a set of these at Hobby Lobby years ago when they were 50% off. NEVER buy anything full price at a craft store. There are always 40% off {or more} coupons to use and Hobby Lobby is the greatest because they regularly reduce their merchandise to half off.

Remove the Post-It square and stamp the initial in the empty space.Gorgeous!

When the ink has dried, apply rubber or felt bumpers to the back corners of each tile.Wrap with a bow and give as a Christmas gift or housewarming present.

A note about the ink:

Don't use regular ink. Be sure to buy StazOn or another brand of permanent ink so that when the coasters are used, the ink won't run.

Hope you enjoyed this tutorial. Let me know if you end up making them!

20 comments:

Kelli said...

In a sense, it seems like just yesterday that we sat down and made these together at your apartment. Yet, so much has changed since then!

We still have our coasters and LOVE them. Thanks for sharing your creativity!

Jennifer said...

Those are fantastic, do you have a estimate of how much it would cost for 4 or 6 of them?

theprairiegirl.com

Jenny R. said...

I love these! I think I'm going to have to give these a try soon!

Unknown said...

Lovely! And so professional looking. This has got my brain working on how many different ways this can be adapted - larger tiles would make beautiful trivets, but I'd have to practice my stamping techniques!

The Notetaker said...

I remember that, Kelli! That was so much fun.

Jennifer,
The tiles are less than $1 each at Lowe's{http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?action=productDetail&productId=95244-93840-LW401&lpage=none}. The ink pads are around $7 each but you can use a 40% off coupon. I bought the stamps on sale for half off too. {The large stamp is originally $14 and I can't remember how much I paid for the alphabet set - not more than $10.}
So if you invest in the stamps and ink, and plan to make several sets as gifts, the cost is minimal. I'd say around $5 per set of 4.
Hope that helps!

The Notetaker said...

Amy - trivets are a great idea! I hadn't thought of that.

Merry said...

Such a great idea! Thanks!

Sally said...

I found you by way of Sew, Mama, Sew's blog (the super-cute toy bag!) and what a treat!
These coasters are easy enough to make with my 8 and 5 year old (while my 3 yo stamps nearby, and nursling...well, probably nursing -lol), but very classy as a "real" gift!
Thanks for the dandy idea!

The Notetaker said...

Sally, thanks for stopping by! The coasters are VERY easy and only require about 10 minutes to make. I hope you try them out!

Kris C. said...

So you don't have to put any sealant or anything on them? Just use the StazOn ink? I am going shopping today!

The Notetaker said...

Kris C. - No sealant. Just be sure to use the StazOn ink. We've used ours for years and have never had trouble with them bleeding. One tip for working with travertine, you may want to clean it with a cotton ball and rubbing alcohol if it's particularly dusty before stamping. Thanks for stopping by!

Kris C. said...

Cool! I bought supplies on Saturday - still looking for an alphabet stamp set that I like - but I'll get started this week and just add the monogram when I find something good. By the way - I had to laugh when I saw the stamp used in your pictures at Hobby Lobby.

Sherry Gann said...

lovely!

Beth said...

oh, this is a great idea!!!

Tessa Cate said...

I'm going to make a set today! Question about the ink though. It dries fast and won't bleed? So can they be wiped with a damp towel or is just a dry wipe recommended?

The Notetaker said...

Tessa Cate - Yup. They can be wiped with a damp cloth to clean. But don't mess with them until the ink dries - about 10 minutes.

Unknown said...

I know this post was a while back, but I'm just now getting to this project. I need to make a gift ASAP and I'm hopping you get this comment tonight... I bought the StazOn ink, but what about cleaning your stamp? I got home and then thought about this fact. Did you use the special cleaner or did you use something you had around the house?

Meghan said...

Is there anywhere besides Hobby Lobby I can buy Staz-on ink? There isn't a Hobby Lobby near me and I found that brand of ink online but I want to give the coasters as a gift this weekend, so I can't wait to have it delivered. Or, is there another brand that can be found at Michael's or somewhere that is as good as Staz-on? Thank you!

ketz said...

These coasters are easy enough to make with my 8 and 5 year old (while my 3 yo stamps nearby, and nursling.


Stone Coaster

Unknown said...

Hi
Nice Blog
We are offering a wide range of Handmade gifts only on matrboomi.com

Blog Widget by LinkWithin