Friday, December 4, 2009

Handmade Gifts: Luggage & Diaper Bag Tags

Today's handmade gift is another inexpensive and quick favorite: personalized bag tags for luggage, diaper bags, or any ol' bag you want to hang a pretty tag on.
What you'll need:
Patterned scrapbook paper
Solid colored paper
Ink pad
Eyelet kit
Hole Punch
Eyelets
Grosgrain ribbon

On the solid paper, print out your label, whether it's a name, address, phone number, whatever.
I like to use fun fonts like the one above with the crown. This site has a great variety of stylish and fun fonts for free. Fun fonts for free. Say that 10 times fast.

Cut out a larger piece of scrapbook paper. I like to rub the edges of both papers with brown ink. It adds a little something extra I think.
Lightly apply the printed solid papers to the scrapbook paper with a glue stick or double-stick tape.
The next step is to take the tag to be laminated. I take mine to Office Max where they can do a whole sheet of heavy laminate for only a couple dollars. I tend to make several at a time so I can get them laminated together. You can fit quite a few on one sheet. Be sure to choose the heavier lamination to make them more durable.
Once laminated, cut around the border of the tag leaving approximately 1/8" border.
Punch a hole in the top of the tag. Using an eyelet punch affix eyelets in the punched hole. Thread grosgrain ribbon through the eyelet hole.
Finito!

And about that tag with the crowned letter J. It's been hanging on my diaper bag for 3 years. Held up well considering how much it's been slung around.

The other set of tags is part of a wedding gift that {gasp} I never sent. The couple moved overseas and I never got around to mailing it to them. The whole change of address thing made it sort of pointless too. {Christina, if you're reading this and you guys ever move back to your old address in Texas, I'll send these to you!}

If you missed my previous handmade gift posts, check them out here and here.

4 comments:

Life with the Kadanes said...

I've been wanting to make these, and now I know how!! THanks!

Jennifer said...

Great idea, they look beautiful!

theprairiegirl.com

Blanket said...

They look very very elegant and unique.

Obama

Stephanie said...

These are very cute. What font is the one with the crown?

Blog Widget by LinkWithin