Tuesday, November 24, 2009

Preschool at Home: Letter D Week

I mentioned in a previous post that I do learning time with Boo during the week. My intentions when I started these home preschool lessons at the beginning of the year were to work through one letter of the alphabet each week, and by the end of the year to have circled through the alphabet twice. Well, I totally overestimated our pace and as the year comes to a close we are just now finishing up the alphabet...for the first time. Whoops! Life with two little ones is busy and I've learned to not feel guilty if we don't get to our learning time some days. There are plenty of other ways Boo's learning every day.

Anyways, here is our Letter D Week Lesson from several months ago.We learned about what doctors do. I wanted to take Boo up to the hospital to see Daddy at work but we ended up doing that several weeks later insted.


We read the story of David and Goliath from a children's bible and I had Boo do a little craft to correspond with it. I tore out little stone shaped construction paper for him to glue near the stream where David found a stone. He was only 2 1/2 at the time and was really into gluing things on by himself.


We made a drum from an old oatmeal container. Boo had fun decorating his drum and then playing it. We made crescent dogs for a picnic lunch one day and dubbed them Diggity Dogs to go with our letter D theme. Boo helped wrap the dogs in crescent rolls before I popped them into the oven.
We read about dinosaurs and Boo painted a small wooden dinosaur plaque with acrylic paints.

Throughout that week (or two) we practiced Spanish words starting with D: dinero, durazno, diente, diez. We also made a peach {durazno} crostata, and Boo learned his letter D bible verse: Psalm 34:14.

4 comments:

Suzanne said...

Great ideas ~ I love using the letter as a whole them for the week!

I cannot even remember who suggested your blog to me, but I have bookmarked several projects to try.

The Notetaker said...

Gulf Gulf - Thanks! And thanks for stopping by.

Steph at Problem Solvin' Mom said...

I love the idea of doing one letter for an entire week, definitely better to reinforce this way with 2 year old attention spans :)

We love making drums, I'll have to remember to save our oatmeal containers. We usually use the plastic coffee containers.

Susan Lemons said...

Cute ideas! Nice work on your site. Look more preschool ideas at my site, www.susanlemons.wordpress.com

Blog Widget by LinkWithin