Thursday, March 18, 2010

Beautiful Berry Tart

I found this recipe several years ago on Epicurious.com and it's one of my go-to's for a fancy summer dessert. I may be getting ahead of myself thinking about summer desserts already but the last few days of warm weather here have helped get me ready. Never mind that we're expecting up to 8 inches of snow tomorrow. That's March in Colorado.

But back to the tart. It's a White Balsamic Custard Tart with Fresh Berries.

White Balsamic may seem strange but the vinegar reduces substantially and lends a subtle but delicious flavor to the custard. I buy the Alessi brand of white balsamic {which I haven't had much trouble finding at most grocery stores} and have even used their Raspberry Blush Vinegar for it before. Yum. The crust on this tart is wonderful - it's like a shortbread.
A suggestion for making your berry tart look like those glistening, gorgeous ones you see in the dessert cases at Whole Foods is to glaze the top of the berries before serving. To glaze, just heat up some apricot jelly in a small bowl and brush on the top of the berries. Go easy on the glaze, you don't want it to pool on the custard, just give the berries a little sheen.

This photo is with the glaze. The others were taken before I added the glaze.

This dessert is a family {and friend} favorite and I have to keep it out of hands reach. Especially since it's covered in all of those yummy berries!

6 comments:

Daniel and Jolene McFarlane said...

that pic of the kiddo is so cute! he's got mischief on his mind. looks delicious, i might have to try this one!

Jennifer said...

Yum, I love berry tarts, and yours looks scrumptious. I hear you about the weather, gorgeous here the last two days and we woke up to snow this morning. Ugh! Love that last pic.
theprairiegirl.com

Mom2fur said...

Not only yummy-sounding, but gorgeous, too! Balsamic vinegar really goes well with strawberries, so I can see how the custard in your tart would taste delicious!

The Grays said...

oh wow, this looks so good!!! i am gonna have to try it!

Lea and Valerie Bailes said...

I think you gave me this recipe a while ago, I forgot about it and LOVE it! COME ON spring and tastes of spring :)

smithec said...

yum, em! that tart is so beautiful! i love how you arranged the fruit. i think that is so much harder than it looks!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin