Sunday, July 12, 2009

Price My Space: Dining Room

The Nester is having a Price My Space party and I'm linking up with the price tag on my budget-friendly dining room. There are still some things I want to do with the space as far as decorating goes, but it's come a long way since we bought it and without breaking the bank.

First, this is what it looked like when we closed on the home {it still had the previous home owner's stuff in it}.


Here's what it looks like now...


Quite a difference! And since this was our first home and we were on a budget, I had to decorate it without spending a lot of money. So here's the breakdown:

1. Large Mirror: $50. We remodeled our downstairs bathroom and replaced the outdated vanity with a pedestal sink and framed mirror. I saved the standard builder-installed mirror that was previously attached to the wall. I wanted to get it custom framed but it was going to cost a fortune. Instead, I opted for one of Hobby Lobby's pre-made open back frames. I waited until they went 50% off and bought the largest one that matched our dining room. It was only $35. Since the mirror was a little too big for the frame, I went to a nearby glass shop to have it cut to size. The guys there told me that they couldn't remove the adhesive left on the back of the mirror without ruining it. Instead, they grabbed some leftover mirror in the back of their shop and cut it to my specifications. They typically charge $10 per cut so it would have been $20. The guy tried to give it to me for free but they had been so nice and generous that I insisted I pay for it. So he charged $10 to my card. And then I took the mirror and frame to Hobby Lobby to have it backed and hanging hardware put on for only $5.


2. Antique Dresser/Buffet: FREE! Well, I say free but really I did buy stripping gel, stain and varnish. Not to mention the hours of work my mother-in-law {Thanks, Jan!} and I spent stripping the layers of old turquoise paint off of it. I found this beautiful piece on Craig's List. I saw a posting for an Estate Sale's leftovers in the free section. I noticed there were tools and thought maybe I could find a few things for my husband. When I arrived, I saw this gorgeous dresser in the basement. I couldn't believe it was there. Apparently, the guy in charge had sold it the day before for $150 but they couldn't get it up the narrow concrete stairs of the basement. The house was REALLY old and they were going to level it and build a new house in its place. I couldn't bear the thought of this dresser being bulldozed with the house. But there I was with a one year old on my hip and without tools or extra hands to solve my dilemma. An antique-hunter was there and she ran out to her car and grabbed a screwdriver for me. I took the top off quickly, trying to make sure my toddling child didn't touch anything sharp and rusty. There were two guys there that were gathering scrap metal for money and they generously stopped their collecting to try to maneuver the dresser out of the basement. And it worked! Several people helped carry the dresser, drawers, and top to my car while I carried my baby. I was so excited about the incredible find but more than that, I was amazed at the kindness of strangers.

3. Chairs: $65 each. I found these on sale at Steinmart. They were originally twice as much. The only catch was I had to drive to every Steinmart within 60 miles to make a complete set. It was worth it!

4. Dining Table: $180. Our dining room was empty {besides the chairs} for months before I found this table. I knew we couldn't afford anything brand new but I desperately wanted a table for our dining room. I mean, you can't dine in the room if there isn't a table, right? Plus it's one of the first things you see when you walk in our front door. This great find popped up on Craig's List and we jumped on it. It comes with another leaf {not shown} and is perfect for us. I loved the price and was glad to find something that was in good shape but not brand new. Slightly used furniture puts this momma at ease with little boys running all over the house. I don't have to worry about a super-expensive fancy table getting scratched - this one already had a few scratches.

5. Chandelier: -$25. That's right, I made $25 on this update. I still can't believe it. I listed the awful 1970's thing that was hanging there on Craig's List thinking nobody would even look at it. Well, two days later a guy emailed and said that if I saved it for him {like people were banging down my door for it}, then he'd pay me $50. "Well, I suppose I can save it until tonight," I replied. I did the happy dance all the way to Sam's Club where I found my new chandelier on sale for $25.

6. Window Treatment: $70. I found the curtain rod on sale for $13. I sewed the panels using leftover red fabric from chairs I reupholstered for the top, clearance trim for the detail, and bought the chocolate fabric on sale. Only $70 total for both panels.

I'm happy with the way it looks but do think it needs a little color. It's a bit dark. Any suggestions?

Also, I'm at a total loss for what to put on either side of the mirror. That wall is very high - it goes up to the vaulted ceiling. I'd love some ideas!


Check out other bloggers' spaces at Nester's party.

10 comments:

Everyday Becky said...

Wow. What a beautiful transformation. I love the colors you chose.

I wish I was good with ideas for you. I have vaulted ceilings, too, and I know that is a challenge. I'll have to stop by and see what other tips you get. : )

A Bushel and Peck and Pigtails Paper Trails said...

You did a great job! I love the question marks! Funny!

Leslie said...

stunning! I would suggest some sconces on the wall with some bear grass, feathers, etc...

We're helping Natalie's Peace of Mind Fund.

Check us out.

www.creativecrafting08.blogspot.com

Nichole said...

What about decals for the wall on either side of the mirror? Some of them are quite large. There are a huge number of sellers on ETSY and they come in lots of different colors. You could do a graphic or words. I recently purchased a 5' tall dandelion from leenthegraphicsqueen. I haven't had a chance to put it up yet but I'm excited to try it! Obviously the dandelion is not appropriate for your room, but there are a ton of choices. Great room!

Songbirdtiff said...

The buffet is beautiful! I hate doing all that stripping/sanding/painting work, but it's so worth the effort in the end.

The Westcott's said...

The buffet table is the best part. You'll probably have that table forever, and you'll always remember the tough love you and Jan put into making it beautiful. I'm on craig's list all the time now looking for an interesting piece to paint to L's new big girl room. Great job with the dining room!

Meredith said...

I agree that some large, dramatic sconces would look great with your mirror. Love the room and hope I can come back and visit to see all of the other changes you've made in the house!

Abbie said...

Your transformation is great! I think either some wall art,(make a wooden frame, or take a rectangled canvas and staple your favorite fabric to it) or chair moulding framed wall paper (I love the beaded glass kind, or something textured) or wall sconces that coordinate well with your chandelier would look great. Valted ceilings are wonderful! You have done a great job in your space! Over from the Nester...Abbie

Marie said...

Love your dining room! It is quite a transformation from the previous owners. I especially like the buffet. The idea of putting decals on either side of the mirror is great! Or, you could put an arrangement of photos or plates.

Blessings,
Marie
http://emmacallsmemama.com

zane said...

Eye-catching dining room furniture that not only looks amazing but is also affordable, check out this classy Dining Room Furniture Set

Blog Widget by LinkWithin